Saturday, April 1, 2006

Getting started

I intend this to be a journal of my cycling activities. Probably not terribly exciting reading material but that's what I've got for you. I love biking, plain and simple, and that's what this is going to be about. So what follows will probably be a mix of entries concerning my commute to work, fun rides, fitness rides, some prattle about working on bikes and maintenance, and maybe even some general bike related musings. The bike I am riding on a given day will greatly affect the type of ride I am on, so here's little about my bikes, currently my stable consists of:

  • Raleigh R300 touring bike: my graduation present from high school (I'm now 27). British racing green. This bike is mostly original. Only the pedals have been changed out for clip-less pedals. I have also added some clip on aero bars for some extra hand positions on long rides.
  • Bridgestone BB1 pseudo-mountain bike: I have converted this bike to single speed from being a 21 speed, also, the only things left from the original bike are the frame, stem, crank arms, and front wheel. Everything else has either been replaced or removed over the years. I have thousands upon thousands of miles on this bike. Before it was a single speed I rode it from Maine to Cape Cod. This was my first brand new bike when I was in 8th grade, luckily I only grew an inch since then and I can still use the frame!
  • Hawthorne (department store brand of Montgomery and Ward) English style 3speed: From the 70's, it has the internal geared hub they made back then, the kind where you have to stop pedaling to shift. The paint is gold and all the parts are chromed. It's very slick when all shined up.
  • 1968 Schwinn Varsity 10speed: I paid $5 for this bike last year at the fire department auction on the 4th of July. It's that really great green color. Everything on it is pure original, even the tires and tubes! It's a tad small for me, it's only an 18" frame, which would be fine for a mountain bike but the seatpost is just a bit shy of where I need it to be I am considering replacing the seatpost with a longer one so I can ride it a little more often. It's 42 pounds of classic American road bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment