Saturday, April 1, 2006

First rides of the season

Two simple rides. The first, I figured I would use as a simple shakedown of my touring bike. I had to drop the truck off for inspection so I just rode a couple miles from the garage to work in the morning. I discovered on my first shift, that my rear STI shifter was not in the mood to work, so I got to ride in one gear. Had I chosen to actually ride my single-speed this would not have been an issue. Temp was around 45, this was the first time using my new Zephyr jacket, it's the first Pearl Izumi item I have ever paid full retail for and I'm glad I did. At lunch I picked up some WD40 and gave the rear shifter a quick squirt, that was all it wanted to shift normally, so the ride back was better, though I guess I pushed too hard up the hill and stopped too suddenly because I nearly passed out at the garage... this was a two mile ride. Yeah. I think my blood sugar was waaay low, I pushed too hard up the hill, and I haven't done much cardio this winter since I've been working on the house.

Next day, first full commute to work of the season. The ride is only about 7 miles and change. Still loving the new jacket. Sun shining, no breeze, the wind on my face was a little nippy till I got warmed up after a mile or so. The new pavement and wider down in Randolph is going to make for a much nicer commuting season. Now if they'd just finish the job on 126 I'll be all set. There was a goodbye party at work for someone leaving the company, so after a beer at the pub, I had a nice ride home. First heckle of the season. The 2nd mildest of all heckles. A simple "Hey" as a minivan loaded with teens sped past. All in all a good first ride. I'm looking forward to the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment