Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Been Awhile

Oh yeah, I started a blog. Now that I've remembered I started a blog this spring, time to revisit it. This summer I have cranked out a bunch of miles, built two bikes, and also had the miracle of my wife getting into cycling (like really into it!).

The new bikes.
First, I built up a new road bike. I went with a Nashbar (Leader?) frame. The final build can be seen on the Nashbike page (I'm Sam K). I had an utter blast sourcing the parts and building the bike up. All told I pretty much exploded the myth that you can't build a bike cheaper than you can buy off the shelf. I love the way the bike rides. I have named this bike "Woof".

Secondly, I caught fixed-gear fever in a major way. First I took my old beater of a Schwinn Varsity and stripped it down and JB Welded a cheap track cog onto the hub. I took that for a ride and damn near killed myself, BUT I was instantly hooked on riding fixed. The Schwinn is a bit small for me so I moved my fixed wheel over to the Hawthorne and did a few miles on that. I could see that this was not going to stand up to my new need. So I started sourcing some parts here and there. A wheelset, moustache bars, eventually a frame. It's all based around an '06 Trek Cruiser Classic aluminum frame. It's all black and to me, it's hot. I'm still working on some cosmetic details to add a bit of a pirate theme to it. We've been calling it "the pirate bike". I love this bike. It's got a looong cruiser wheelbase, 44in! Running 700c wheels, 39x16 gears, and 19mm tires for the hills round here. I rode it 30 miles to my parents house on Thanksgiving. That was a glorious ride and it may become the topic of another entry.




No comments:

Post a Comment