Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I did it to myself, really

Tonight I went for a ride out on the Reservoir.  Feeling invincible after receiving my 5 pack of 29er tubes in the mail yesterday, I was going to be prepared when the inevitable flat were to eventually happen.  I got a late message that there was a group going out in the Rez, so if I was going to catch them I'd need to ride fast.  I tore into the trails like I meant it.  Eventually, around ¾ of the way around I caught up with them.  Except they had decided to ride counterclockwise and were actually headed the way I'd just come.  I was quite well warmed up and feeling good so I turned around and rode with them back the way I'd come, never having down the loop counterclockwise.  It was a neat ride, I like that way and I'm likely to hit it up again that way to mix things up a bit.  After clearing a rock ledge climb that's usually a drop, I heard the SSSSS that means your ride just got less fun.  But I was prepared!  I had my tube!  With no way to inflate it...  My pump had been stashed safely in my road bike bag and apparently my CO2 inflator had discharged in my bag at some point.  Even though I didn't know it, I definitely caused this flat, simply by not having my pump in my bag.  This is where the benefits of actually riding with people come in.  2 borrowed cartridges later, rolling away.  Much thanks to Bill.  Overall, it was a great ride for me about 1.5 times around the Rez since I doubled back, I'm feeling my lungs come back a bit and my legs have more to give than they did last week.  Looking forward to riding with the Black Sheep (and my pump) again tomorrow night

No comments:

Post a Comment