Sunday, January 14, 2007

Winter's Here?

So yesterday I did 25 miles on the PB. I still love the big 700X32 Panaracers I put on last week the one extra gear inch it gives makes the gearing great. I set out on a circle of unknown distance; I was pretty sure it wasn't more than 30 miles. It was a good loop, I will ride it again, it provides a good mix of descents, climbs, a few short flat stretches but mostly the usual rolling terrain. The only problem was that it was 35°F and I was riding into the wind for 75% of the ride. The kind of wind Garrison Keilor quotes as saying, "I'm gonna kill you , Boy." I had to stop 3 times to stretch my calves due to the descents.
This was one of those rides that makes you feel old. Amanda dug out her old yearbook later on in the evening from her mom's house. Looking through at the photos from the year I was in the best shape of my life is not great for the ego, when you get back from a ride like this. This morning I feel like someone beat the crap out of me. I suspect it's easier to feel young when it's warm.

It was a good mind clearing ride and I did actually half-assedly invent a new piece of bike tech: A single sided hub that would mount both a freewheel and fixed cog on the same side. I'm still working out the details in my brain. I got the idea from the White Industries Dos freewheel unit. I doubt I have the technical capacity to create this from old parts. Though there is also the possibility of modifying a freehub to accomplish the same task via a locking pin(s). I need to disassemble one to figure this out. I assume I could modify a freehub easier than a freewheel mechanism. The idea would be so that it would be more practical to switch between fixed/free on a really long ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment