Monday, April 16, 2012

Reviving the workshop and the blog

Hey look, a blog.  It's been a while, but I've been busy.  Liana and I moved home to Maine and I've basically been working on our house for a year in my spare time.  Oh, the bike times that have been had since my last post...  I finally have a garage again, this time with a dedicated bike maintenance bench.  The stable has grown to 16 bikes, thanks to some freebie junkers from the metal pile at the local junkyard, and I have a few frames sitting around waiting for the right project.  Since my last post, I've made a tall bike, built up a new fake John Deere single speed road bike, a chopper (which I subsequently chopped up for parts), and acquired and old cruiser with one of those 2 stroke motor kits.  Posts on those to follow.

I haven't really had very many good shop sessions lately with all the remodeling I've been at on our house.  Last night I had a really good one.  It was nice to get into something in the garage not involving drywall for once.  My bro-in-law wants to try bike commuting and his 20 year old mountain bike is just not up to the task.  It's an ambitious commute for a new commuter, 20 miles each way.  So to try it out, my Raleigh touring bike is getting called into duty.  I love this old bike.  It was my high school graduation present. A 1997 R-300, Shimano RSX STI shifting 21 speed, braze-ons everywhere, 32mm tires, canti brakes, fenders, etc.  I gave it a full wash, scrubbed out the drivetrain including every individual link by hand, relubed, tightened up the shifting, adjusted the brakes, and deglazed the pads.  For a finishing touch I rewrapped the bar tape where it had come a little loose due to a hasty job last time around.  It rides plush on the 32s, and shifts clean 'n' crisp.  This thing is ready to roll.    There is nothing like the late night smell of simple green, grease, and chain lube.  I'm almost a little wistful about letting it out of my sight for a month.  But if it can win over a new bike commuter, game on.

No comments:

Post a Comment