Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Looking silly.

I took the folder out for its first serious ride. I did a 10 mile loop on it for a shakedown. I found that it is not at all squirrelly like I feared it might be. It is however, definitely not designed for a large rider. The handlebars are way too close, so it takes all the power out of the positioning. The seatpost is definitely not quite long enough, and the handlebars could benefit from an offset stem, rather than simple being a T off the top of the stem. The coaster brake has got to go, it's very snug, and the slightest backpedal will engage it enough to drag. I am starting to think that this bike might not be very fixed-gear friendly because of how low the BB is so I fear that pedal strike could become a major issue. I need to do more evaluating on this though. Wouldn't be the end of the world if I just made it a SS freewheel, becasue I could just pick up a stock bmx wheelset for that rather than having a custom fixed wheel built up. I probably looked rather silly in my serious bike duds riding around on the folder. I borrowed the SPD pedals from the pirate bike, and put the Velo TT saddle on it too. It is fairly comfortable with this set up, geometry aside. I would like to change the grips to something a little larger, probably cork. I need to get out for a longer ride to see just how long I can crank this thing for.

I also got back a new helmet from Giro to replace the one I just bought. The Pneumo was defective out of the box. I had bought an 06 model and they sent me a shiny new 07 model which is very cool. It's as comfy as the last one, and fits more securely thanks to the not defective Roc-Loc mechanism. I love this helmet.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a brand new 16t bmx freewheel.
    You can have it for, 15$.

    ReplyDelete